Despite its modest dimensions, the French Bulldog has the main classic characteristics of Molossian breeds. That’s why it needs a very properly selected diet. In any case, when planning your daily feeding regimen, you need to try to make the diet as varied and useful as possible. Difficulties can arise because dogs are prone to overweight and frequent allergic reactions. Good health and longevity are not the hallmarks of French Bulldogs, so it is important to approach their nutrition as responsibly as possible.
When deciding on the food ration, it is necessary to build on the lifestyle of the Frenchie and his physical activity. During the meal, the dog should compensate for the calories, that spent on the walk. In the correct diet, a balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate intake must be observed. You cannot keep a pet on a mono-component type of feeding.
Some necessary Frenchie’s food rules:
- strictly adhere to the rules of pet nutrition, starting from its age and needs for nutrients and energy value of products;
- include foods in the dog’s diet based on their composition, characteristics and nutritional value;
- in the presence of diseases of the stomach or digestive system Frenchie must be transferred to dietary food;
- before feeding the dog, you need to prepare the food following the basic methods.
It is strictly forbidden to overfeed the French Bulldog. Also, healthy eating includes concepts, such as the frequency, regularity, and timeliness of feeding. Feed your pet, at the same time, using the optimal single serving of food.
Natural homemade food should be balanced and contain foods suitable for feeding the French.
French bulldog feeding chart
As a rule, such a diet is based on cereals prepared from equal parts:
- lean meat beef, veal, or poultry (maximum 15% of the meat can be replaced with offal);
- barley, buckwheat, pearl barley, or rice groats;
- vegetables: cabbage, carrots, zucchini, beets, tomatoes, cucumbers;
- sunflower and olive oils with a mass fraction of fat not more than 1%.
It is allowed to include in the natural diet of French Bulldogs:
- dairy products: cottage cheese, live yogurt, whole milk, sour cream with a low percentage of fat, yogurt, natural whey. Approximately 40% of Frenchie develop lactose intolerance after six months. It is worth limiting the use of dairy products, after the use of fermented milk products there are no negative consequences;
- low-fat, oceanic fish varieties, rich in trace elements and amino acids. Adult pets can be fed raw, but only after deep-freezing;
- fruits and berries.
What fruit can French bulldogs eat?
In addition to vegetables, dosed consumption of fruits and berries.
- mountain ash;
There are no restrictions on eating green, non-sweet apples.
The French Bulldog should eat twice a day. Food should be warm, at least room temperature. Even when defrosting food in the microwave, you need to cut it and only then reheat it.
Helpful Supplements to Include in a French Bulldog’s Diet:
- fish fat;
- beef veins.
Forbidden product to your French Bulldog:
- bakery products;
- smoked meats and pickles;
- fried, salted, pickled foods and foods with a lot of spices;
- pasta and flour products, especially those containing yeast and margarine;
- exotic fruits.
The use of tubular bones threatens perforation of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, river fish and weed varieties provoke the development of urolithiasis, and grapes and raisins are poisonous for dogs.
Proper nutrition is the key to the good health and longevity of the Frenchie. Feeding your pet correctly is not a difficult task, but it will require some training and knowledge. After reading the necessary information, listening to the opinion of experts, and applying all this in practice, you can prolong the dog’s healthy and happy life.